Collaborative, Growth-oriented Pioneer
CTO/VP of Engineering
15+ years of experience delivering up to $75M in recurring revenues and up to $4M in cut costs to start-ups to Fortune 500 organizations across all verticals, especially through Oracle systems and transformations. 15+ years of leading technical teams of up to 50 with up to 15 offshore resources. Consistently develops new technical innovations and solutions to problems.
Enterprise Software Delivery – Custom/retail software development – SDLC uMobile – Performance Tuning- Enterprise Architecture – Data Center monitoring – Retention, Mentoring – Offshore Team Management – Oracle PL/SQL – DevOPS – Agile/Scrumu SOA/RESTful
C3 Business Solutions, Inc., Santa Ana, CA 2015 – 2016
Chief Technology Officer
Hired as the Chief Technology Officer. Reported directly to owner. Developed strategy and tactics to increase size of company. I implemented a monitoring ‘dashboard’ showing 40+ clients; 7 predecessors tried and I succeeded. I audited their SCRUM/Agile implementation at C3 and implemented source control. I developed cloud architecture and implementation strategy; implemented code review process. During code review, sped up one piece of code from 30-90 seconds per FedEx label to less than 300ms, a 27,000% improvement.
DAZ Systems, Inc., Los Angeles & San Diego, CA 1998 – 2015
Director of Technology
As 10th hire, have driven P&L revenues to >$75M from <$1M by leading all technical delivery for this $75M Oracle consulting company through delivery of >450 mission-critical Oracle Application Solutions to companies ranging from startup to Fortune 500. Increased professional services/cross-functional/technical team to 340 people from 16. Managed 15 direct reports, 70-80 task specific reports.
- Created technical delivery of our hosting business by architecting a 46% reduction in hosting costs for the first client.
- Cinched many technical sales by offering innovative solutions; for example, “Red Stack” for the DAZ hosting business. Went from 0 to over 40 hosted servers in less than 2 years.
- Won coveted (1 in 10) Small Business Innovation Research Phase I grant funded when developed proposal for innovative 3D VR environment for server visualization.
- Ensured software firms’ assets could develop to vision through leading development & delivery of cross training.
- Wrote DARPA grant proposal and developed compelling story for project funding
- Enabled rapid growth by doubling productivity of DBA support staff as grew company revenues and staff by 1800% & support staff by only 1000%
- Oversee DBA work, programming standards, back end IT infrastructure, Data center architecture, build up & management of offshore technical support.
- Increased profitability by >150% by reducing rates up to 50%, while maintaining quality & customer satisfaction through closely monitored offshoring of DBA support
- Keep >100 customers live with only 5-10 DBA’s in support
- Code quality significantly improved when developed coding standards from scratch
- Saved $12-20K over cost of separate firewall, load balancer, and backup/failover LAN connections when architected and installed Microsoft TMG (Threat Management Gateway)
- External corporate web site never hacked since architected & installed web server & firewall within enterprise (on-prem)
- Increased by 10% customers surveying “extremely happy” after prices cut dramatically for routine after-hour support, while boosting U.S. DBA retention
- Tripled number of internal servers with no hardware increase needed when setup internal private cloud
- Kept 100%/5 websites up with continuous provision of services when decommissioned, obtained & installed 2 new servers & migrated all firewall rules to new setup in 3 days after corporate merger abruptly “Unmerged”
- Achieved 14+ years in average employee retention by enabling DBA’s to work remotely
- Reduced exiting employee equipment thefts by 400% via institution of positive inventory control & cross check
- Earned ROI of 320% on 3COM VOIP System when exceeded expected lifetime by 11 years when normal system life is 3-5. Maintained system personally for 15+ years.
- Delivered 90% of 450 Oracle ERP implementations on time & under budget by leading teams of 3 to 25
- Ensured 100% uptime to Oracle, Weblogic, IIS, and SQL Server solutions by architecting 5-10 different production HA/DR solutions.
- Generated $45M in total revenue for client over 16 years & saved $2M project for firm, when turned-around custom Human Machine Interface “Smart Control Panel” Project for Solar Turbines, division of Caterpillar.
- Delivered on budget & within 10% of milestone time, enabling on time product shipment.
- Managed total of 8-10 direct reports, including 3 client developers
- Developed custom bug tracking solution, automated builds & architecture and personally wrote >2000+ lines of code in 2 weeks when 2 programmers quit before a major milestone
- Ensured accurate real-time pollution auditing/logging for Client, Solar Turbines by enabling fast maintenance of gas turbine performance data when increased by >250% speed of logger & reduced CPU load to 20% from 90-100%
- Personally redeveloped & wrote 1000+ lines of data logger code in 1 week to maintain schedule.
- Performed low level C++ code performance analysis on 3rd party vendors toolkit.
- Kept almost no CPU load using interrupts by using Nyquist sampling statistical theory to develop C++ scheduler to accurately graph data
- Backup policy created & instituted enabled American Sporting Goods (ASG-Avia) to survive hardware crash 1 week after arrival
- I improved the efficiency of order fulfillment at Belkin by 1800% by implementing coding standards
- Gained 1st reference-able client in new hosting business model when led Hosting Swap across 17 servers of very complex systems.
- Coordinated team of 6 DBA’s to move all production and test servers to own hosting facility
- Saved the client $588K over 3 years
- Developed AI code around circuit board routing algorithm (A* or A star) extension allowing games such as Age of Empires to maneuver AI opponent’s forces even on difficult terrain.
Invited speaker at Computer Games Developers Convention on AI (1998) where coined phrase “Artificial Stupidity”
Cornell University Ithaca, NY
Bachelors of Science, Electrical Engineering
- Full 4-year Academic scholarship
- Completed all Masters Level courses in EE during 3rd & 4th years as Undergraduate: Computer Architectures, Networking architecture, Circuit Design.
- Significant class work in Computer Science and Creative Writing.
Publications & Presentations
- Invited speaker, West Coast Writers conference on Microsoft Word and other software – 2013-2016
- Developed and taught ePublishing for LA Valley College, 2013
- Publications: 2 articles on Leadership, “My minions are idiots” in the 1st and 2nd issue of The Cursor, the magazine of the Independent Game Developers Network.
- Invited Speaker: Computer Game Developers Convention – 1998, “Torching Fahrenheit”
- Guest Speaker, Computer Game Developers Convention – 1997, “Opening the Box; 3D Toolkits”
- Invited Speaker, Software Development – 1996: (San Francisco) Presented a class on Real Time 3D toolkits (VR)
- Guest Presenter, Meckler VR Conference, 1995 (San Jose) Presented a speech on the Visual CompuServe project.
- Lecturer: Business Computer literacy class for Gouverneur Chamber of Commerce, 1997-1998.
- Trainer/Speaker, Marine Corps Logistics Base, Albany GA. Client Server Computing, 1994 – taught over 100 people the principles of Client Server computing; Executive and technical levels.
- Former Member of Sterling’s Who’s Who (1995-2000)
- UCLA extension Certificate student in Writing, Screenwriting (August 2008)
- MBA courses: Economics for Managers, Golden Gate University (1987), Management and Leadership Golden Gate University (1998)
Oracle University DBA performance tuning, (October 2015), Oracle JD Edwards summit (August 2012), Sales summit/education (2012), Oracle Cloud Fusion installation (2012), Oracle High Availability (2008), Windows Server internals/Airlift (2000), TQM (1992), software project management (1991), Privacy act (1988), IT Contracting (1987), Systems Development methodologies (1986)
- ACM Siggraph Pioneer
- Member, IGDA (Independent Game Developer’s Association).
- Marine Corps Veteran: 12 years Active Duty; rank of Captain (promoted early by General Officer request). MIS/IT Officer for 10 years.
- Environments: Windows, Linux, Oracle database
- Software: C,C++, Python, Oracle 8i-12c,PL/SQL, SQL Server,Java, J2EE, XML,Visio, TOAD, SharePoint, Hyper-V, Oracle VM, Windows Powershell, Unix Shell Script ,Arduino
- Volunteer Activities: Volunteer, Greater Los Angeles Writers Society; Race Timing Director for Parkinson’s inline half marathon, 2012, 2011
- Languages: English (native); PL/SQL(proficient); C++ (Native)
- Interests: Inline speed skating (2nd in Age group at Napa Marathon, 2015), Saltwater coral reef aquariums